Here are a few fun facts about India, as you prepare for the Trip.
1. India is about 1/3 of the size of the U.S. Yet, is is the second most populated country in the world (1.2 Billion people).
2. India is the largest Democracy in the world.
3. It is illegal to take Indian currency (rupees) out of India (so we will need to spend all of our money) :).
4. India is the Birthplace of Chess.
5. The India Flag has three horizontal bands of color: (1) Saffron: for courage and sacrifice; (2) White: for truth and peace, and (3) Green: for faith, fertility and chivalry. An emblem of a Budhist dharma chakra, or wheel of life, is in the center.
6. The Bengal tiger is India’s national animal. Unfortunately there are fewer than 4,000 tigers left.
7. India has the world’s largest movie industry, based in the city of Mumbai. The B in “bollywood” comes from Bombay.
8. The national fruit of India is the mango. The national bird is the peacock, which was initially bred for food.
9. All of India is under a single time zone.
10. In India there are over 1000 languages spoken. The Big Six are: (1) Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, and Urdu. Hindi and English are both the official languages of the country.